Complimentary Energy Audits Offered to Members
Do you ever wonder why your electric bills seem to be different than what you expected? Do you understand why your bills seem to fluctuate during the year? Do you know which of your appliances is using the most energy? Do you know where conditioned air is escaping from in your home?
All of these questions can be answered by calling Choptank Electric Cooperative and speaking with our Energy Efficiency Coordinator, Justus Gellert. He can analyze members’ accounts by reviewing their SmartHub data or even schedule an in-home energy audit, which is complimentary for every member.
When a member contacts us with an energy usage or energy efficiency concern, our first step is to review energy habits with account data from SmartHub. Members who still have a concern can request a complimentary walk-through energy audit.
During these energy audits, Gellert will address factors that are contributing to the usage you see on your bills each month, like heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC), lighting, and more. These energy audits are free for all members and in a majority of cases can identify ways to help you save on your bill with no costly repairs or upgrades.
We have three certified BPI Building Analyst experts on staff who are able to walk through your home and discuss which appliances are using the most energy, how to curtail that usage as best as possible, where any leaks or inefficiencies in the home are located, explain how the house works as a system, and discuss how to implement no-cost or low-cost improvements that will reduce usage and improve the energy efficiency of your home.
Some commonplace items that Choptank Electric can address in your home are:
- Appropriate sizing, condition, and functionality of the HVAC system(s)
- Ductwork condition and leakage
- Importance of supply and return air to the house as a system
- Air filtration and restriction to the system
- Thermostat settings as related to energy efficiency and comfort
- Supplemental sources of heating and cooling such as space heaters and window units
- Condition and amount of insulation in the home
- Appliances and other factors that contribute to energy usage and basic load calculations
- Condition of the envelope of the home as related to energy efficiency such as locating gaps or penetrations from the outside to the inside of the home
- External factors that can influence energy usage such as shading, windbreaks, etc.
For more information about our home energy audits, please visit our website at www.choptankelectric.coop under Member Benefits, Energy Efficiency, or call our Member Service Center at 1-877-892-0001 and ask for our Energy Program Coordinator, Justus Gellert.