Join the Choptank Electric Cooperative Team
Employment contact information
Engineering applications are always accepted, other applications and resumes are only accepted when there is a vacancy.
Choptank Electric is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Based on the position that you are applying for, please complete the appropriate application below.
- For the best results, download Adobe Acrobat Reader to complete the form.
- Save your employment application as a PDF file, and open it using the program suggested above. Once completed, attach it to an e-mail and send it to the HR group. If you experience problems emailing your application, you may print it and mail or fax to:
Choptank Electric Cooperative
Attn: Human Resources
P. O. Box 430
Denton, MD 21629-0430
Application with CDL (Commercial Driver's License)
There are no current openings.
ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS WANTED (Multiple positions available)
Whether you’re a recent graduate interested in the field of electrical distribution, or a P.E. with several years of experience, and would enjoy living on Maryland’s Eastern Shore.
EDUCATION: We are looking for talented and progressive thinkers who either already have their P.E. or are interested in getting on a path to obtaining their P.E.
EXPERIENCE: Experience in the power industry or in electrical design is highly desired. Experience with system protection, system design, electrical modeling, broadband, interconnections, and/or SCADA would be a plus.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC) and the National Electrical Code (NEC) would be helpful.
ABILITIES AND SKILLS: The ability to communicate well and explain engineering principles and/or designs to both technical and non-technical personnel is necessary.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Engineering positions may sometimes require working outside. Occasional travel may be required to represent the Cooperative at various professional and association meetings.
POSITION: ENGINEERING FIELDMAN
We are currently looking to hire an Engineering Fieldman to work out of our Headquarters Office located at 10384 River Rd., Denton, MD.
EDUCATION: High School graduate or equivalent is required. Two-year engineering/technical degree preferred. Recommended concentrations such as surveying, electrical engineering, electronics engineering, civil engineering or mechanical engineering. Courses in Trigonometry or Algebra are desirable.
EXPERIENCE: Successful completion of the Northwest Lineman College program (provided on the job) or two-year engineering/technical degree may be considered as a substitute for Engineering Fieldman 4th Class on-the-job training. Must pass required testing to enter position. Required to take and pass designated training as prescribed by the Cooperative which may require travel.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Must become familiar with the engineering specifications book and fundamentals of electricity, Terms and Conditions of Service and right-of-way easement and membership requirements.
ABILITIES & SKILLS: Must be able to operate a surveyor's transit. Must be able to prepare members load survey and voltage drop calculation. Must possess excellent computer skills and the ability to learn software applications necessary to perform job functions. Must have a valid driver's license. Must be eligible to become a Maryland Notary Public.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Some work inside with normal office conditions. Works outside in all types of weather. Occasionally required to respond to major outages. Travel within system required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Required to pass a physical examination when employed.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be dexterous, and possess excellent communication skills. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms’ climb or balance’ and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
There are no current openings.
There are no current openings.
POSITION: APPRENTICE LINEMAN
We are currently looking to hire one Apprentice Linemen to work out of our Denton District Office located at 24820 Meeting House Rd. Denton, MD.
EDUCATION: High School graduate or equivalent is required.
EXPERIENCE: Will have six months on the job training. Applicants with mechanical, technical and computer skills are preferred. Successful applicant will be required to enroll in the Northwest Lineman’s College Power Delivery Program and complete the program within two years. (All information for this program will be provided by Choptank Electric and can be completed while on the job and at home.)
JOB KNOWLEDGE: A basic knowledge of electricity is desirable. Should be able, in a reasonable time, to develop knowledge of Cooperative construction specifications.
ABILITIES & SKILLS: Should have the ability to learn the technique of pole climbing and the proper and safe use of tools and equipment, for both overhead and underground lines which are de-energized. Must have a valid Maryland Class “A restricted” or equivalent driver’s license.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Outside under various weather conditions and subject to irregular hours for emergencies. REQUIRED TO RESIDE WITHIN A TWENTY-SEVEN (27) MILE RADIUS FROM THE DISTRICT OFFICE, in order to be available in case of outages.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Required to pass a physical examination and drug test when employed and must continue to pass physical examinations required by Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. Must be capable of climbing, bending, stooping, lifting, walking over rough terrain, and operating various equipment as assigned.
There are no current openings.
Closing date: Until the position is filled
MULTIMEDIA MANAGER | HEADQUARTERS - DENTON, MD
The Multimedia Manager will work within the Government Affairs and Public Relations Department to provide graphic design, website management, social media content, layout and design work for newsletters, e-news, annual reports, brochures, and other materials for internal and external communications by the Cooperative.
- A bachelor's degree required; major or significant coursework in Communications, Graphic Design, Visual Communications, Digital Communications, or related fields is required.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing, audio-visual and photo production methods; journalistic principles and practices; communication media forms and techniques; and website design & maintenance using HTML, CSS and JAVA Script is required.
- Specific experience must include skills in Microsoft Office and the Adobe Creative Suite (including InDesign, Premiere & Illustrator) graphics design, website design and related software. Experience in videography is also preferred.
- Demonstration of knowledge and handling of social media platforms and their respective participants (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.) is a must.
- Use of social media management program Buffer is preferred.
- Familiarity with the Cooperative’s service area is also preferred.
- Occasional travel is required in representing the Cooperative at various national meetings and seminars.
- Designs, develops, and maintains Cooperative website and ensure successful implementation, updating and related security
- Coordinates and executes Cooperative communication postings on approved social media platforms.
- Prepares various customized graphics used across medias/mediums
- Determines layout of member newsletters, E-news and other assigned informational brochures
- Provide support for the Annual Meeting and other organized activities
- Prepares Annual Report
- Prepares and ensures the accuracy of any audio-visual and photo presentations
- Develops marketing and member relation publications, digital content and messages for assigned activities
- Provide input for the preparation of the annual department budget
- Requisitions any expenditure approved in the annual budget for assigned responsibilities
- Usual conditions in a climate-controlled office. May occasionally require extended and/or irregular hours of work to accommodate Cooperative needs or emergency situations. Occasional travel required when representing the Cooperative at various functions, seminars and training.
- Required to pass a physical examination and drug/alcohol test prior to employment. Must be able to lift and carry at least thirty (30) pounds. May be required to work up to eight (8) hours per day at a computer terminal.
- *Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. *
When there is a job opening, applications may also be picked up from Choptank Electric's headquarters office located in Denton, MD or at our Regional Service Center located in Salisbury, Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 4:30 PM.
Please indicate the position for which you are applying on the application. Applications must be received by the deadline noted. Our review and selection process begins shortly after the closing date. This process may take several weeks. Within that period, should your address change, please advise us.
If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified by letter at the address you provide on your application/resume. If you are not selected for an interview, your application will be maintained for a period of 90 days and considered for future openings if the same position should become available within that 90 day period.
Working for an electric cooperative is a great career opportunity. There are almost 1,000 electric co-ops throughout the United States. Learn more about electric co-op careers at America's Electric Cooperatives.